Sunday, September 6

The Odd Charm of Finding VHS Gold in Unlabeled Cases

.

So I'm at the swap meet and my "supplier" took the day off for the holiday so I was left to roam around aimlessly wondering what the people trying to sell their stacks of dime-a-dozen mainstream Hollywood flicks on DVD think of their invest now. Really, it's amazing how many seem to own Big Momma's House, wouldn't one be ashamed just to pick that up with their own hands?

I come across this young girl with tapes packed in apple crates just as I'm about to leave. She has some old tapes, but nothing too exciting, mostly drama and standard action fare. Until I get to the bottom of the last crate. I find a hard black plastic "industrial style" tape case with no labels except for this handwritten on the bottom:


I immediately think of J.S. Cardone's The Slayer from 1982. I've been wanting to see this movie for ages. I popped the case open expecting to see the Continental Video cassette (seen here) from their big box double feature with Fred Olen Ray's Scalps. Instead, I find the Marquis Video cassette hailing from Canada, which is the uncut 81 minute version as opposed to the 75 minute Continental tape. Marquis also released Last House on Dead Street for the canucks, feels like I've been playing the Six Degrees of LHODES lately. I checked the tape and it's definitely The Slayer with no previews of any kind.

So I didn't get a stack of tapes today, but this little find was enough despite the lack of the original case the tape came in. This doesn't happen often, but it's one of the cooler aspects of the hobby when you find some innocuous looking stock case that actually houses a little gem such as in this example.

Yes, I'm that much of a dork.

No comments:

...do you dare tread upon the staircase?

Basement of Ghoulish Decadence, Basement of Ghoulish Archive, and all original material Copyright © 2009-present by Jayson Kennedy. All rights reserved.